Savor the warm, comforting blend of sweet, spiced apples and aromatic thyme, which perfectly complements the cozy atmosphere and flavors associated with the autumn season.
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 3/4 cup boxed pancake mix (just add water variety)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 Tablespoons whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled and diced small
- 2 Tablespoons finely chopped Soli Organic Living Thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Splash whole milk or whiskey
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped Soli Organic Living Thyme
For the fritters:
- Heat 2 inches of vegetable oil in a large cast iron pan to 375 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, combine the pancake mix, granulated sugar, cinnamon, milk, vanilla, egg, and thyme in a bowl; some lumps are ok. Fold in the apples.
For the glaze:
- Whisk together the powdered sugar, thyme, and milk or whiskey until smooth. Add more milk if needed, to make a thick dippable glaze.
- In batches, drop 1/4-cup scoops of the batter into the oil and cook until they turn a dark amber color, about 2 minutes per side. Remove to a rack or paper towel-lined plate.
- Let the fritters cool slightly, about 30 to 45 seconds, before drizzling over the icing and returning them to the rack. Serve warm.