Flavorful Homemade Chicken Pho with Basil and Cilantro
This flavorful Vietnamese soup is a classic comfort food that is perfect for any occasion. With its aromatic broth, tender chicken, and fresh herbs, it's no wonder that pho has become a beloved dish around the world. You'll love this recipe that features a delicious blend of herbs and spices, including Basil and Cilantro.
- 8 oz package of rice vermicelli noodles
- 4 boneless/skinless chicken thighs or breast cut into very thin strips
- 1/2 large white onion, chopped into medium pieces
- 2 (2-inch pieces) fresh ginger, peeled and halved, length-wise
- 8 cups chicken stock or broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon clove (optional)
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon red chili paste
- 1 stick cinnamon
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a large pot dry cook onion and ginger to gently char (about 4 - 6 minutes, stirring occasionally)
- Add the broth, water, coriander, clove, fish sauce, soy sauce, chili garlic paste, cinnamon stick and a pinch of fresh cracked salt and pepper to the pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Prepare noodles as directed on package.
- Strain soup through a colander to remove onion, ginger, and cinnamon stick and return to pot over medium heat.
- Add chicken to broth to cook approximately 4 -5 minutes (depending upon thickness)
- Divide the noodles among bowls and ladle in your soup. Add desired toppings. Enjoy!
1 bunch fresh Soli Organic Living Cilantro
1 bunch Soli Organic Living Basil leaves (Thai if available)
2 fresh jalapeño peppers or red thai chili peppers sliced
1 cup fresh bean sprouts
1 lime, quartered
Your favorite hot sauce(s)