Not your average stuffing recipe, this is the ultimate side dish! Loaded with sweet cornbread, savory sausage, crunchy pecans, and the most incredibly fresh thyme and sage!
- Living Organic Thyme and Sage
- Cornbread (can be store-bought or homemade, whatever is easiest for you!)
- Sweet Italian Ground Sausage
- Yellow Onion
- Gala Apple
- Chicken Broth
- Salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste
- Start off by preheating the oven to 400 degrees.
- Next, make sure you have your cornbread ready to go! You can use store-bought or homemade – whatever works best or is easiest for you! Whatever you use, just be sure to dice it into cubes.
- For this recipe, I think it’s personally best to have day-old cornbread! If it’s not a day old, no worries. You can always toast the cubes in the oven to let them have more of a “stale” texture.
- Once the cornbread is diced into cubes, be sure to add it to a large bowl – and I’m talking large! Lots of ingredients are going to be added to this bowl.
- Dice up the celery and onion and add it to a pan with butter – cook that down for a few minutes and then add in the ground sausage. I chose a sweet Italian sausage but if you wanted to spice things up a little, you could always use hot Italian sausage or even country sausage.
- Let the sausage cook until it’s fully done. Then add it directly into the bowl with the cornbread.
- Dice up an apple as well as roughly chop pecans. Add both into the bowl.
- Add in the chicken broth and beaten eggs.
- Then add the freshly minced Living Organic Thyme and Sage, picked straight from the plants.
- Add a pinch of salt and pepper as well as garlic powder – about ½ tsp salt, ½ tsp garlic powder, and a dash of pepper to taste – but I always say to season with the heart! 🙂
- Mix all together in the bowl! It’s going to look weird and maybe a little mushy but just trust me, the end result will be amazing!
- Finally, grab your favorite 13×9 baking dish and butter it well. Add the mixture directly to the pan and spread it out evenly.
- And time to bake! Bake for 35-40 minutes, until the middle, has just set. The top will be crispy and golden brown and the middle will retain that perfectly soft and delightful stuffing texture you hope for.
- And of course – for both aesthetic and flavor, you must top with extra herbs! Adding more Living Organic Thyme adds a pop of both freshness, flavor, and beautiful color!
Recipe by @ourbalancedbowl
For recipe, other tips and tricks, and additional recipe ideas, check out: https://ourbalancedbowl.com/cornbread-stuffing/#more-13407