Pesto is a very easy and flexible recipe that every aspiring cook (and for that matter the cooking-averse) should know. Feel free to adjust proportions to your taste. Try experimenting with different nuts and leafy herbs. Arugula or Italian Parsley work well, as do walnuts and even pistachios.
- 3oz fresh basil leaves, firmly packed
- 1/3 cup Parmesan-Reggiano, freshly grated
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 2 medium garlic cloves, crushed
- sea salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Add pine nuts, garlic and sea salt to a food processor and blitz to form a paste
- Add basil and blend until incorporated
- Add cheese and blend continuously while drizzling olive oil slowly
- Add pepper and additional salt to taste
A food processor is the easiest tool for the job, but feel free to use a blender, stick blender or even a mortar and pestle.