- 3 medium fresh tomatoes, sliced
- 4 oz fresh mozzarella, sliced
- salt and pepper
- ¼ cup balsamic reduction (see NOTES)
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- extra-virgin olive oil for garnish
- Lightly salt and pepper one side of each tomato slice.
- On a medium-sized platter, layer the tomato slices alternatively with the mozzarella slices and basil leaves
- Drizzle the balsamic glaze over the top of the salad.
- serve with a slight drizzle of the extra-virgin olive oil when serving or just before.
To make the balsamic reduction, add 1½ cups of good-quality balsamic vinegar to a medium-sized pan over medium-high heat. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes until thickened. Don’t reduce too much, or it will become bitter.